BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Discrimination.

(My apologies, but please note that this post is heavier than most.)

Cancer does not discriminate.  Cancer does not care who you are.  It does not care how much money you make.  It does not care about the color of your skin.  Cancer doesn't even care if you are male or female.  Cancer does not care how healthy you are either.

Cancer does not discriminate.

I did not know my grandfather, Joseph Phineas Dunham, who died of lung cancer, but he was the first person I'd ever heard of to die of this horrible disease.  We believe this is what helped my grandmother quit smoking.

I have known a handful of other people who have been diagnosed with different types of cancers.  Some have passed away and some have survived.  Some of them very, very close to me.  I remember talking to my sister in law a couple years ago.  Her very best friend, whom my niece was named after, died from cancer.  When talking to her, I discovered it was such a sudden thing that she still can't believe it.  My brother and I talked after that.  Her friend was a health nut, constantly running and keeping in shape.  Cancer found her anyway.

Cancer does not discriminate.

This morning I got a text message from my boss:

"So sorry to tell you this, Sue passed away this morning."

Sue began feeling symptoms only a week and a half ago.  Her boss finally talked her into going to the doctor's Friday afternoon.  She was admitted immediately.  She was only having symptoms of difficulty breathing.  We all figured it was pneumonia since that summer cold is going around.  It's amazing how quickly it happened.

Cancer does not discriminate.

3 comments:

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

This post definitely hit home for me...my uncle darrin (my dad's brother) was very recently diagnosed with lymphoma....and THEN after further tests, they found that the cancer had spread to him bone marrow. The prognosis for the bone marrow cancer is not good. :(

Holls said...

I am so sorry to hear this Kimber. It breaks my heart. Cancer is a very difficult diagnosis to hear. My heart and love goes out to your family. *HUG*

Anonymous said...

I was a friend of the person you are referring to. I work in the aerospace super to secret world. She had Hepatocellular adenoma. Medically if she stopped using BC she would of lived. The chemo caused more problems than it was trying to fix. The reason I post this is I have t-cell cancer thanks to getting thrown thru a window in school which she got to witness first hand, I want people to know about these oddball diseases and how to fix them. Maybe people can be saved knowing this. She was the most intelligent loving innocent person I knew. Even though I'm an aero engineer my heart lies in helping people. God didn't make my family mayor of San Francisco and help Don Lind become an astronaut for no reason.