BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 29, 2009

"Love For A Turkey"

The very first time I cooked a turkey was with my sister in law, Trudie, in New York.  She had found a recipe in a magazine that sounded delicious so we tried it.  It was quite fun, for neither of us had ever prepped a turkey before.  The recipe we used called for Coke and maple syrup.  Sounds strange, but I've been making that turkey ever since (with the exception of last year's Thanksgiving).


Well, this year, I was reunited with my family and was nominated, well, assumed seems more like it, to make the turkey.  I decided I wanted to prepare it a different way, so I posted a status in Facebook asking for some different recipes.  I got many responses, but one from my Junior High best friend was my favorite.

I prepped the turkey the night before and followed the most important instructions, but did Hollie-fy the ingredients a little.  After all, we Italians MUST have garlic in our main courses.  As my dad began to carve the turkey, we all agreed that this was a fantastic recipe.  My mom even said I'd outdone myself this year!  What a wonderful recipe for such a wonderful day!

Anyway, this is the email I received from my dear friend with the recipe attached.  She gave me permission to post it:

Dear Hollie:

I would like to share with you my recipe of love for a turkey.

You’ll need the following:

Turkey
Oranges
Lemons
Rosemary
Olive Oil
Butter
Course sea salt
Course ground pepper
Lots and lots of love

First step and this is a must, introduce yourself to the bird. Shake its drumstick. Inform the bird you're going to be preparing it for a lovely meal. Explain to the bird what you are doing. (this is a major step)

You need to loosen the skin but don’t remove it. Massage the bird with a good amount of olive oil. Under the skin, insert a few cubes of butter and springs of rosemary. (if you desire additional herbs, go for it). Sprinkle salt and pepper around the bird, the amount depends on your taste.

For the inside of the bird: cut up lemons and oranges and loosely stuff them in along with rosemary. I like to place some butter as well.

** You may want to put a couple small slivers of the citrus under the skin.

Throughout the cooking process, check on the bird and wet it with the juices. During the last hour or so, I like to check on it and brush the bird with melted butter I have set aside.

I hope you take this recipe of love into consideration for your family’s feast.

All my love to you and your family,

Jamie L. Leavitt

I gave that turkey so much love, it seeped out from everywhere!  I even danced with it, sang to it and all.  Love really is an important ingredient!  I'd also like to thank Jeni for giving the bird some of her love as well and letting it know how appreciative we truly were to have it on our table!

(The Cook and The Carver)
(Just perfect, even with a wonky oven!)

2 comments:

Maurice&Tash said...

That looks sooooooooooooooooooo yummy. I love that you were designated for the Turkey. BTW, I am now serving with your mom on the YW board, so excited to be on Pick's team.

Livin-It-Up said...

Where's the picture of you dancing with the bird?