BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 27, 2010

My Orange County Bubble...

Ok, so apparently I live in a bubble.  Well, sort of.

A couple weekends ago, I went on a date to the L.A. Fair.  Now, growing up in southern California, you'd think I'd have been to this fair.  After all, it's not even an hour away.  Nope!  I've never been.  I've stayed in my Orange County bubble most of my life and haven't ventured out to the 909/951 often enough!  (Oh yeah.  Did I mention the L.A. Fair is located in the Inland Empire, which, by the way, isn't even part of Los Angeles??  I know, right?)

 Anyway, we met at my house then drove to the fairgrounds.  We parked and walked to the front gate (after taking a picture or two) and the fun began!  It was a blast!  I had no idea how big this place actually was!  It puts the Orange County Fair to shame!  It's probably at least 4 times the size!

(If you look closely, you can see a couple stuffed animals hitching a ride!)

We started off with the animals (of course) and we felt so bad for them.  It was so hot and there were so many people there it was kind of ridiculous.  Some of the animals were even swaying, almost panting in the heat.  It made us sad, even though it was really neat to see them.  We saw cows, horses of all sizes, sheep, goats, piggies and more!

After the animals we ventured over to the little arena where they had some cowboy and cowgirl rangers. They had a Ranger competition where they rode their horses and shot balloons that sat on poles.  It was pretty cool!  That's when I realized how much I wanted a horse, although I have no idea how to care for a horse...  There were even little girls who used their hands as guns and pretended to shoot the balloons.  Too cute!
(This gal had on my favorite outfit!)


After the Ranger fun, we went to The Body Exhibit.  I actually went to this same exhibit in Hawaii, but Kevin hadn't.  He was super excited, being a science teacher and all.  The whole entire exhibit is made up of real cadavers and is just incredible.  As soon as you enter, you can feel the astonishment from everyone in attendance.  The human body truly is amazing!  They broke everything down into sections, from bones, to muscles, to cardiovascular, to reproduction, etc.  My favorite part of the whole exhibit was the Arterial exhibit where they had only the arteries of the entire body displayed.  Simply amazing!  I highly recommend this exhibit to anyone who hasn't seen it!



Next Kevin bought me dinner.  You know, it's kind of hard to be gluten free at a fair, but somehow we managed to find a place for me to eat!  TriTip.  Done!  Well, I ate Kevin's fries too, but what can you do?  We had some good conversations about the exhibit we'd just seen and how none of the pieces had skin.  This was pretty deep because if you think about it, we are al the same on the inside.  We all have the same pieces as any other race and we thought that was pretty neat the way they omitted the largest organ on the body.

After dinner, we hit up some "shows,"  I say "shows" because they weren't the best.  We went to Monkey Mania which included one monkey who ate french fries.  IT was more of a short lecture, but the monkey was super cute anyway!  After that, we walked around to see some animals including more monkeys, birds (yikes), porcupines, and even saw a baby kangaroo which a handler was showing off.  Super cute!  We also checked out the reptiles and saw a little Anaconda, Tortoises, Geckos, Frogs and more.  We were going to go to another show with stunt dogs but we figured it would just be dogs doing Agility races.  We also went to see some Pirates in the Sky show which was like an amateur acrobatics show.  We decided to skip the next acrobatics show for fear it would be similar to this one...  I guess after seeing KA in Vegas, as well as Cirque Del Mar at Sea World, we're a tough crowd!


 So we went on rides and played games!  Kevin had never been on The Zipper so we went on that.  It's one of my favorite rides at fairs but no one will ever go on with me because they're too scared.  I was more than thrilled when Kevin said he would go on it!  We screamed and laughed the whole entire time! I love it!  We played a few games and Kevin tried his best to win me a prize, but we both came home empty handed.
(Trying his luck at Skee Ball)

By the end of the night, we were both exhausted.  It had been a very long day but it was so much fun!  I plan on going again next year!  Especially since I just found out a friend that I work with will be competing in some of the rodeo activities!  How fun would that be to actually see someone I know riding out there!  Yay for someone to cheer on, lol!  So if you have a chance to go to the LA Fair, I would definitely do it!  I'd take the LA Fair over the OC Fair any day!

2 comments:

tracyjax said...

I hate to burst your bubble but Pomona is in LA county. I love LOVE the LA county fair. I couldn't go this year (sad face) but I'm glad you did!!

Holls said...

HAHAHA! See? ORange County Bubble! Apparently I only know Santa Monica when it comes to LA! Thanks for the clarification Green! :D