BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Stalkers all around...



Yesterday began like any other morning in Oz.. well, for us I suppose. We landed in the morning after catching a shuttle to the airport in Sydney at 4:50am with 2 German guys and landed in Cairns around 10:30am. We arrived at Calypso, along with our German guys, and met our fantastic hosts. Then we decided to head into town by foot.


As we walked along the Esplanade, we kept an eye out for crocs as there were warning signs everywhere! How awesome would that be to see one?? Well, we didn't. We even asked a lady in a shop if she sees them (yes, I had to ask). She'd been living here a year without one siting so we didn't feel bad that we were denied a chance.

Because we are the Fat Kids, we were starving. After all, we had Arare for breakfast on the plane... We decided on a cool local place called Kani's and took a seat outside so we could boy, I mean people watch. Want to know what we ordered?? I bet you do! You'd be SO proud of us! We agreed to an Outback Sampler which included Crocodile Sausage, Kangaroo, and Ostrich Fillets. The pictures tell it all... Risa and I both agree that the Ostrich was the best by far.





Afterward, we walked around the town and did the tourist thing and bought postcards. Then we happened upon the Cairns Rainforest Dome. Now this wasn't in our plans, but it was mandatory when we discovered we could cuddle a koala! DONE! His name was Bailey and he's 7 and he has the sweetest face you've ever seen!



We ventured upstairs into the Dome where we were greeted by haphazardous birds flying around, trying to decapitate us. They followed us wherever we went! After wandering up the stairs, we had salutations with 4 black macaws... One of the biggest stalkers on this trip! She followed us around the whole entire exhibit! No joke! Even when we went down to watch the "Furry Animal" show, she flew down and landed on the backs of our chairs and proceeded to bite my shoulder! After denying her more Hollie meat, she roamed over to Risa and nearly sat in her lap! She decided she enjoyed the taste of Risa's jeans and then Risa was nearly in my lap, trying to fend off the bully. Apparently, we were so entertaining that we got the other guests attention and strangers started taking our pictures as we were scared for our lives. Apparently, the looks on our faces were priceless, but the fear was too great to hide.
(The devil, herself.)

(Risa, fearing for her life.)

As soon as our show was over, we headed back to the gift shop for some drinks and Turkish Delight. Now having read Narnia, we had to purchase this treat. Now let me tell you, I am definitely not a fan of this chocolate covered jelly candy... I wanted to try it and I did, so that's that.



Today we are off to check out the sites on the Sky Rail and train that boasts beautiful views of the rainforest, where we will, again, cuddle a beloved koala and other animals!

Until then! Cheers!

10 comments:

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

can i tell you that i quite enjoy turkish delight? it made me feel like edmund when i ate it!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys are off to a good start! Is internet access hard to come by? Hopefully the liveaboard has some kind of access... or the ports you stop at, at least.

I can wait to hear your dive accounts... have fun.

Anonymous said...

So, you are glad you tried the Turkish Delight, but....
Sounds like great fun so far. And so many adventures already. Lucky!

Rachel said...

I am so glad the decapitory (not a word but I don't care) birds did not have their way. And that your cuddly koala friend didn't slash your eyes out with his sharp, cruel claws. Oh, and I LOVE the picture of Marisa eating the croc sausage - so it didn't taste like chicken, then? Carry on with your adventures, I am enjoying this plot line.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a brilliant time! I'm so jealous! lol
Have fun you two - I'm living vicariously through you so keep the blogs coming! :)
-steph s.

Anonymous said...

Its your birthday today, and so I say, Happy Birthday! So, hmm.... did your bday already pass over there? Er.... not yet?.... or uh..... hows that dateline thing work again? :-)
Love ya,

Rob

Anonymous said...

OMG! Kangaroo and Alligator. That's insane. Good for you ladies. Of course you would have stalkers, you are pretty irresistable you know. Haha. I am glad to hear that you two are having fun. Please be safe.
Loves,
Amanda

Val Benincosa Sr. said...

I am confused. What are Arare that you had for breakfast? Tell me more about the Turkish Delights. Are they like the chocolate covered orange slices? More input please.
Glad you are having fun, please be careful.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Jealous of you.... Very, Very jealous of you. Wish I was there!! Instead, I'm here... it was a balmy 12 degrees today. Have an excellent time, and can't wait to read your next post.
~Kevin

Rachel said...

Since you haven't posted recently, I am guessing you are Internet-less for now...but I just wanted to get in a big HAPPY 30!!!! It's just past midnight so it technically is no longer your b-day, but who's counting, right? (Please don't be counting...) Anyway, I hope you are having a memorable and wonderful birthday. can't wait to read more...