BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 25, 2010

Tornado Watch 2010.

In Southern California?!?  Are you kidding me?  Actually, no.  I'm not.

Last week, Southern California got a taste of El Nino, which has been forecasted since October of last year.  It lasted pretty much the whole week and we have a few more days to go after a short break.

On Wednesday, I got an email from a coworker with the subject heading: "Uh oh!"  When I opened it, I had to laugh.  There it was.  A Tornado Alert for Orange County.  With my hometown of Huntington Beach as one of the first cities.  I think my favorite part of the whole "special weather report" was when it advised us Southern Californians that the best place to go during a tornado is in a basement...

Excuse me?  Um... WHO in Southern California, let alone Orange County, has a basement?!?  I actually laughed out loud at that one.

In light of winds reaching up to 95mph, and receiving a total rainfall (in Huntington Beach alone) of 4.17" (my work got 8.17") in one week, I thought I'd share some pictures from around the Orange County area.

Darkening skies over Balboa Pier in Newport Beach.
(MARK RIGHTMIRE)

Waves almost touch the bottom of the Huntington Beach Pier.  Luckily, it didn't wash away like it has in the past.
(KEN STEINHARDT)





A Dana Point Waterfall from a new storm drain.  I posted this picture because I lived up the street from it.  (ROSE PALMISANO)


Sand being leveled in front of the houses on Seal Beach just down PCH from Harbor House to help drain the water.
(MICHAEL GOULDING)

The storm moves past Seal Beach.
(MICHAEL GOULDING)

More storms to come (Orange).
(MARK RIGHTMIRE)


This tree took down power lines when it fell in Anaheim Hills.
(BRUCE CHAMBERS)

Doheny Beach in Dana Point.
(MARK RIGHTMIRE)
Corona Del Mar.
(LEONARD ORTIZ)

After a tornado hit at Peter's Landing Marina in Huntington Beach.
(MICHAEL GOULDING)

Floodwaters in Costa Mesa.
(RICHARD KOEHLER)

San Clemente Pier during 35-50mph gusts of wind.  (One of my stomping grounds while living in Dana Point.)
(PAUL BERSEBACH)

Erosion from a tidal surge in Seal Beach.
(MICHAEL GOULDING)
This is one of my favorites...  Costa Mesa.
(SAM GANGWER)



AND NOW PROOF THAT WE, SOUTHERN CALIFORNIANS, DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IN THE RAIN...
Placentia (right by my work).
(BRUCE CHAMBERS)


This genius attempted to drive through 3 feet of water after a CHP officer had just pushed a BMW out of the water after it stalled on the 91 freeway.
(BRUCE CHAMBERS)


Diesel fuel leaked over 4 lanes when this big rig jack knifed.
(BRUCE CHAMBERS)








Why I was late to work on the 22 Freeway...
(H. LORREN AU JR)

On Santiago Canyon Road a van attempts to cross a creek.
(KEVIN SULLIVAN)

El Toro Road, my exit to one of my friend's houses.
(JEBB HARRIS)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But after the storm(s), the rainbow  :)

Santa Ana River in Orange
(JOSHUA SUDOCK)




4 comments:

Maurice&Tash said...

For a minute I was worried that it was the end of the world, until I saw the rainbow. PHEW!

Holls said...

I know right?!? Like how I stole your idea with the media pix? Mwahahaha! I thought I'd let everyone know we are ok by adding the rainbow, in case the post proving I'm still alive wasn't clue enough ;)

Holls said...

And I was too lazy/cautious to take my own pictures.. Well, ok, I took one. Maybe two...

Livin-It-Up said...

Awesome pictures whether they are yours or not. Glad you survived!