BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 11, 2011

Fear Of Earthquakes Raised by 8.9

This morning a little after 5am I received a text from my little sister Tiffany asking how I was and if we'd had any tsunamis.  Um... What the...?  I rubbed my eyes and hopped online.  Immediately I saw the news that an 8.9 earthquake had struck the coast of Japan causing tsunamis in the Pacific.  The damage was just devastating.


I immediately reached out to my friends in Hawaii since they were some of the first to receive the Tsunami Watch.  I can still hear the tsunami sirens in my head.  They go would go off in the beginning of every month while I was at work.  I got used to them and having to calm the tourists down.  I couldn't imagine waking up to that sound in the middle of the night, grabbing essentials and heading to higher grounds.
After hearing all was well and that Kauai got the worst of it (about 4 feet), I discovered that they had closed Huntington Beach, my hometown, and their neighboring city Newport Beach.  There was no evacuation but because of the unpredictable currents of the ocean, they kept everyone out.

All of my loved ones and ohana in Hawaii are safe, thank heavens.  Words cannot express my heart for those in Japan and those with families that have been affected.  MY prayers and heart are with them during this tragic event.

My friend had this to say on his Facebook post: "I'll just say this about Japan, I am grateful an earthquake that size hit there and not some third world country. I mean, it is amazing the size of that quake and Tsunami yet only 500 people or so confirmed dead with less than 1000 missing. Only Japan could have been that prepared and for all the religious nuts, God did bless Japan by giving them the knowledge to know how to prepare their island for such a disaster."  Amen, Donavon.




0 comments: