BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 11, 2011

Philly Fun.

While in Maryland, I did a quick road trip to Philadelphia specifically for a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich with my two brother in laws and my baby sister Ashley.  We woke up at 4:30am and were on our way before the sun even rose.  With a breakfast of raw carrots and broccoli, we crossed through 3 states until we got to Independence Hall.... before everything was open.

(The most amazing rest stop EVER.)

(I'm no football fan but I love that all of the sports arenas are all next door to each other.  It would suck if there were a hockey game, a baseball game AND a football game all on the same night!  Thanks heavens all 3 don't overlap!)

We knew we'd get there before we could get food so we thought we'd enjoy some American History.  We ended up getting back into the car and driving to Valley Forge while we waited.  We did the driving tour after checking out the museum and gift shop, per my request.  Simply amazing what these men lived in/through.

(The Unknown Soldier and The Eternal Flame.  Speechless.)

Upon return to our original history lesson, we visited The Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, The Unknown Soldier's Tomb and The Eternal Flame, and more.  Simply amazing to be in the same halls as the men of independence.  I love the feeling of history coming alive, which is why I'm part History major.  It's just amazing to imagine these important events happening right where I'm standing!

(Independence Hall and George Washington.)

After our tours we got back into the car and headed for Geno's (suggested by my dad's good friend, Bobby Bear) and partook in a delicious cheesesteak (mine with onions).  Talking with Chris, we decided it was a good thing we went to Geno's since they claim to be "the best" in Philly.  That is until he looked across the street at Pat's, which is apparently "the king" of cheesesteaks.  Dang it!  Well, I had to do it.  After all, how often do I go to Philadelphia?  Exactly.  So, I gave my cup of soda to Seanie to hold while I ordered another cheesesteak from Pat's (this time sans onions since we were taking it to go along with the rest of the girls').

In the end, I vote that Geno's is correct in that they are the best between the two locations.  Mmmm!

All of these photos were taken from my phone because I forgot my camera battery charger. :(  For more photos, see Ashley's facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=289869&id=507759098

0 comments: