BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, January 17, 2011

Scandalous.

On Saturday I had the opportunity to visit Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

You know the movie Valentine's Day (basically, it's a newer Love Actually, but I love them both)?  Well in that movie they go to a cemetery that's showing an old black and white film.  That was in this cemetery.  They still have movies that they show during the summers.  For those of you who live in Hawaii, it's basically like Sunset on the Beach, except it's in a cemetery where a plethora of Hollywood stars are buried.

(Looking out from the cemetery, you can see the Hollywood sign in the distance.)

(Jewish tradition calls for you proving your visit by setting stones on the grave.  Rita stated, "You guys get flowers and I get rocks." Lol!)



(You should look up her story.  It really is tragic.)

("Missed it by that much!")

(Our tour guide in front of Douglas Fairbanks' tomb.  She dresses like the Lady in Black once a year to pay tribute to the tradition of the strange visitor to Valentino in the mausoleum.)



(The gorgeous halls of the mausoleum.)

(Valentino.)

It was such a blast going on this two hour tour.  My six friends and I learned so much in words of history and scandal behind not only the actors, but the cemetery itself.  It's amazing how not only infidelity was such a big part of Hollywood even back then, but also drugs, sex and violence.

("Alfalfa's" Father.  That invention of his was supposed to enhance women's breasts.  What a way to go putting it on his gravestone, right?)

("Alfalfa" died after getting shot trying to get his reward money back at knifepoint from the man who found his lost dog.)


I think one of my favorite stories was that of Hattie McDaniel, the first black woman to win an Academy Award.  She was criticized by her own community, her own race because her roles were often the part of the maid, or servant.  Of course, Hattie proved to be perfect for the parts as she put her own attitude into the roles in which she played; often rolling her eyes or making faces.  What a way to go, being the first of her race to win such an award.  In last year's Oscars, Mo'Nique (Precious) made a point to thank Hattie for "enduring all that she had to do so that (she) would not have to."  This was when Cassie and I got teary-eyed...

We also saw the graves of Florence Lawrence (aka, The First Movie Star), Darrin McGavin (The Christmas Story), VampiraCecil B. DeMille (The Ten Commandments), Janet Gaynor Gregory (the first actress to win an Academy Award), Virginia Rappe (quite the scandal!), Don Adams  (I couldn't stop humming the Get Smart theme song), Rudolph Valentino (aka, Valentino)Peter FinchPeter Lorre (Casablanca), Douglas Fairbanks (aka, The King of Hollywood), Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer (Little Rascals), Mel Blanc, (think Bugs Bunny), and last, but definitely not least, Estelle Getty.


The other part where we got emotional was at Mel Blanc's grave.  I grew up watching Looney Tunes and have undoubtedly seen every single cartoon from it.  He did the voices for pretty much every single character in it from Bugs Bunny to Foghorn Leghorn.  Our tour guide showed us this picture and I got emotional, yet again:





The whole experience was just amazing.  My mom told me later that day, after I'd already left, that we actually have family buried there!  This means I must go back to pay my respects.  Oh and also attend one of the screenings in the summertime.

(We ate a late lunch here per Randi's request.  It would have been more enjoyable if there wasn't a football game on...  It was tasty though!)

(Cassie, Rachel and Ryan enjoying their S'Mores)

(Rita and I)


(Randi and John)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

i am drooling. as a studier of film and literature I know almost ALL of these names. DeMille is a personal hero and I just taught my students about him! Fairbanks! Ah, forget it! I must go here on this tour. I'm coming out this summer just to see a flick here with you! YAY!!!