BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sometimes, Traditions End.

Every year we drove up to my grandparents' house in Stockton, California.  On the way up we'd stop at Andersen's Pea Soup for lunch.  I always got The Traveler's Special which included a bowl of endless pea soup.  I never got past one bowl.  After out bellies were full, we'd hit the road again.

As the years went on and I started driving this trip in my own car, or with a sibling or two, we'd continue the tradition.  After eating we'd hit the road again.  In order to remember the exit for Gramma's and Grampa's, we had to include the ending:  Hammer (Lane) don't hurt 'em.  We never forgot that exit.  After exiting, we'd pick up some See's Candies for the visit.

Last week I woke up at 3am for some random reason.  I decided to check my phone and i had a text from my sister Traci:  "Did you know that Gpa died?"  I was in a little bit of shock.  I checked my email and discovered one from my brother with the same words, but as a statement.  He forwarded the obituary link after finding out from our cousin, Nat.  My Aunt's friend came upon the obituary and called her.  Harsh.

A few years ago, we discovered my grandparents weren't actually married.  To me, it didn't matter.  Blood or not, married or not, Grampa GG will always be my grampa.  He was there for me at every important event in my life.  He came to all of my Grandparents' Days in elementary school.  He came to my graduations.  He came for Christmases and Thanksgivings.  He was always there.

After a bit of research, we found out the funeral service was the upcoming Saturday.  Traci and I were not going to miss it.  We were going to support our Grampa like he supported us.  Gramma would have wanted us to be there too, so how could we not drive the 6 1/2 hour drive one last time?  We took half of Friday off, packed up the car with Gina and Traci's husband, Chris, and made the familiar trek.


It was mandatory to stop at Andersen's...  It will also be the last time.  I got so so sick from The Traveler's Special that I almost missed the funeral.  (Still trying to figure out my whole guts problem.  Btw, I have another ultrasound next week.)  Anyway, somehow I made it through the night (sorry siblings that I shared a hotel room with) and we went to the funeral.  It was nothing but a sea of blue hair, haha!  Obviously, Grampa was well loved.

The service was very nice.  Lots of people stood up to tell everyone a few things about Grampa GG.  Lots of stories about cards and coming to things super early.  He wasn't on time, he was ALWAYS early.  It was just his way.  His son, Jeff and his daughter, Lynn spoke too.  One of the best stories I'd like to share is that of his military service.  He served in the Navy in WWII.  He actually supposed to be stationed on the USS Arizona but fell ill and another man took his place.  Unbelievable right?  I get chills every time I hear that story.  He could be at the bottom of Pearl Harbor right now...

Traci and I cried the whole entire time.  We couldn't help it.  It was just this past Christmas we'd called him and sang "We Wish You A Merry Christmas."

After the service, we approached Lynn.  With tears in our eyes we re-introduced ourselves since it had been 10+ years since we'd seen her.  We let her know we so glad to have made it.  She apologized profusely about not getting in contact sooner to let us know.  She wanted us to know he was only on hospice for 30 hours before he went peacefully.  It was definitely time, she said.  We hugged her goodbye and that was probably the last we'll see of Stockton, California.  Home of my grandparents.
(Gramma and Grampa at my cousin Mimi's wedding.)

(The last picture we have of Gpa GG.  Tiffer and her family were able to introduce him to their little girl, Jaiden.)

1 comments:

J. R. said...

That is such a beautiful story Holly. I am sorry for your loss.